Current:Home > InvestNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Strategic Profit Zone
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-04 23:30:18
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (628)
Related
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- A strong earthquake shakes eastern Indonesia with no immediate reports of casualties or damages
- At Black Lives Matter house, families are welcomed into space of freedom and healing
- Jeff Bezos fund donates $117 million to support homeless charities. Here are the recipients.
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- How Travis Kelce Really Feels About His Nonsense Tweets Resurfacing on Social Media
- JFK assassination remembered 60 years later by surviving witnesses to history, including AP reporter
- Jamie Lynn Spears cries recalling how 'people' didn't want her to have a baby at 16
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Albania’s prime minister calls for more NATO troops in neighboring Kosovo following ethnic violence
Ranking
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Police say some 70 bullets fired in North Philadelphia shooting that left 2 dead, 5 wounded
- Track coach pleads guilty in federal court to tricking women into sending him nude photos
- The top contenders to lead the Netherlands, from a former refugee to an anti-Islam populist
- Small twin
- Pope Francis meets with relatives of Israeli hostages and Palestinian prisoners
- Messi leaves match at Maracanã early, Argentina beats Brazil in game delayed by fight
- OpenAI says ousted CEO Sam Altman to return to company behind ChatGPT
Recommendation
Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
A hand grenade explosion triggered by a quarrel at a market injured 9 people in southern Kosovo
Cryptocurrency exchange Binance pleads guilty along with CEO to money laundering charges
Ex-New York corrections officer gets over 2 years in prison for smuggling contraband into Rikers Island
Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
Shooting of 3 men on Interstate 95 closes northbound lanes in Philly for several hours
Phoenix man gets 22 years in prison for nearly a dozen drive-by shootings
Bradley Cooper defends use of prosthetic makeup in 'Maestro' role: 'We just had to do it'